Scriptures are clear about sexual immorality or fornication! It should not happen! If it does, then one should be ready to face the consequences! Something that is not always pleasant!
It is also clear from the scriptures that we should all resist evil! Evil is spiritual, and you would be pitied if you tried to overcome evil intellectually! It is not possible! If it was, all persons who are highly intelligent would be free of sin! Evil is implemented by demons living in us or around us! Trying to be brain-smart or wearing a religious regalia will not free you from evil at all!
Resisting evil needs a simple power of your will! Humans make the mistake of trying to use the brain, then they fail! Spiritual forces are overcome through the will, not brain! I can’t emphasise this enough! The will is strengthened by the Holy Spirit in a repentant and non rebellious human!
Sexual immorality demons living in us cannot be cured by marriage! If you have them, you will still stray out of your marriage! You will indeed struggle with faithfulness!
What is a marriage? Do you identify as single or married? If you are already in an intimate relationship with someone, then you are practically married! You don’t have to doubt that or call that person a partner, a boyfriend or girlfriend!
Marriage was never meant to be complicated. That is why sexual immorality is more of an excuse or an act of ignorance! Even in the Holy Scriptures, the act of getting married was simple! Today it is nothing less than a planned drama! Humans have redefined marriage with devastating consequences!
Marriage is seen as a ceremony or a ritual that should be performed after an approval by the community! What community? Rotten community? I cringe in horror when I imagine that the same people who are supposed to approve your marriage are themselves leading a life of sexual immorality! I also imagine that some of them are jealous, and are basically agents of your enemy for they cannot speak anything positive about you!
Current religious or cultural traditions surrounding marriages may look harmless and legitimate, but they deny the real truth about what seals a marriage. Unless you learn the truth, you will be caught up in these unnecessary cycle of warped human traditions.
John 8:32 “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” NIV
Humans who want to marry carry heavy burdens on their shoulders from meaningless traditions that were put in place to complicate and confuse the simple act of getting a wife or husband.
Jesus said in Matthew 11:30 “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” NIV
Marriage is supposed to be simple, where a woman and a man decide on their own to live together. Nothing more! It doesn’t need a priest or a bishop to approve. Get me well, I don’t mean that marriage is not a serious thing, no, it’s as serious as birth and death. The path leading to the right person before the commitment is tricky and needs divine guidance. It may also involve your friends or relatives! However, once you identify the right person, the act of attaining a marriage status between two people is simple.
As scary or alarming as it may sound, what seals a marriage is just an intimate encounter!
This implies that we could easily be spiritually married to many people we’ve slept with.
Over the years, the real and binding definition of marriage has been removed from what it is.
People need to be careful not to think of or have an intimate relationship with anyone in their lives, but to wait until they meet that one person they will live with for the rest of their lives.
What is important is the fact that you should have your own wife or husband!
1 Corinthians 7:2. …each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband (ESV). Meaning that there are no third parties allowed in the union, just the two of you till death! So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mathew 19:6 NIV
Allow me to revisit and explore further the act of getting married!
The scriptures say that two bodies become a couple in the spiritual world when they have an intimate encounter with or without a commitment to each other. Which means that a single encounter with another human makes that person your wife or husband even if you had not talked about it!
Therefore, random casual affairs gives you multiple spiritual marriage ties to people something that should never happen. That is why the practice is sin and an abomination! It brings a curse to your body (1 Corinthians 6:18 (NIV) Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body).
Signs that casual intimate encounters have no blessings, is seen in the existence of sexually transmitted infections, where some of them have become incurable! A great number of people have been struck by premature ageing of the body and even death!
We find dependable clue on what act signs-up a marriage in the following scripture. The clue points out clearly that the act could be incidental, brief or hidden but it is a seal of marriage!
1 Corinthians 6:16 (NIV) Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”
The binding spiritual seal of marriage from an incidental encounter as in this scripture is quoted exactly the same way in several other scriptures, Ephesians 5:31 , Genesis 2:24, and in Mathew 19:5
… a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh…
What if the two people have an intimate relationship and don’t start living together as husband and wife? Then the act becomes a sin of sexual immorality or fornication depending on their current marital status. When you sleep with someone, that person becomes your wife or husband. If you don’t accept that then you are probably demonised!
Before you fool around, you should be ready to live with that person as a married couple. Otherwise, repent and stop having intimacies with anyone until you are sure that you want to live together for the rest of your life!
1 Corinthians 7:2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. NIV
A man and a woman can commit themselves to each other before God. It could be in your house, in church, on the road side, on a tree, at the beach, in a restaurant or anywhere you are! In any case, human witnesses at your commitment are not necessary unless for the purposes of amusement, you can’t keep them away, or for government paperwork.
If you are single, it is advisable that you get delivered before you seek an intimate relationship with anyone! Sow holiness and faithfulness in your life first! It is only then that you will be equipped with knowledge that will help you identify a suitable person to marry! Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (Galatians 6:7 NIV).
But before you go, let’s do some myth-bursting on “what is a marriage”!
1. A priest is needed to perform a marriage ceremony. This is a myth. It is purely a religious practice that is not supported by the scriptures and has no spiritual benefit or value. It probably started as a way to hoodwink onlookers into believing that the relationship was holy or the persons involved practiced holiness! If you are sleeping with no one else other than your chosen soulmate, your union is holy so long as you recognise that you are a husband and a wife!
2. A set of marriage vows is what seals a marriage. This is another myth! Marriage vows are good and should come before the marriage is sealed, but what seals a marriage is the sexual act not the vows. So, stay away from it until you meet your soulmate! You may ask, how will you know that you’ve met the right person! You can’t while you are sleeping around! Stop and practice holiness for as long as it will take and when you cross path with the right person, you won’t even doubt it for a minute!
3. There must be a wedding ceremony. A myth! Partying is not sin, but it has no spiritual meaning and can be a waste of time and resources.
4. You need to follow the traditions of your people. This is a tricky myth! Human traditions were created by man to control others. Things like gifts and dowry are for monetary gain! You can use traditional ceremony for public commitment but this is completely irrelevant and a waste of time!
5. You can have a sexual relationship with another person while still claiming that the person is not your husband or wife. This is a deception and is an act of sexual immorality. You should never sleep with anyone if you don’t want to acknowledge that you are practically married to that person.
6. Your unfaithfulness will stop once you get married. This is a myth! Faithfulness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Without Him one is like a thug and cannot be trusted with faithfulness, but can sin sexually when an opportunity presents itself! Attaining faithfulness is a sign that someone is delivered from sexual immorality! If you are a Christian and delivered, not prone to being unfaithful but burns with thoughts of intimacy, you could be ripe for marriage! Allow God to lead you to your own wife or husband!
If you are already married, but have uncontrollable thoughts of intimacy with random persons, save your soul and marriage by getting delivered!
The content of this article comes from a collection of personal experiences! It has helped a number of people who could have made a common marriage mistake! These were persons struggling to make sense of what marriage is! It is my sincere hope that you will be blessed by reading the article and that it will save you from engaging in acts that can lead to a needless suffering!
May God richly bless you!
[Article Author: Joseph GM]