What is a marriage? Do you identify as single or married? If you are already in a intimate relationship with someone, then you are practically married! You don’t have to doubt that or call that person a partner, a boyfriend or girlfriend!
Marriage has never been complicated! Even in the Holy Scriptures, the act was simple but today it is nothing less than a drama! Humans have redefined marriage with devastating consequences!
Marriage has been defined as a ceremony or the ritual surrounding the union!
Religious or cultural traditions surrounding marriages may look harmless and legitimate, but they deny a potential couple the real truth leading to marriage. Unless they learn the truth, they are caught up in these unnecessary cycle of warped human traditions.
John 8:32 “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” NIV
Humans who want to marry have heavy burdens heaped on their shoulder to complicate and confuse the simple act of getting a wife or husband.
Jesus said in Matthew 11:30 “For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” NIV
Marriage is supposed to be simple, where a woman and a man decide on their own to live together. It doesn’t need a priest or a bishop to approve. Get me well, I don’t mean that marriage is not a serious thing, no, it’s as serious as birth and death. The path leading to the right person before the commitment is big and needs divine guidance. However, but the act of attaining a marriage status between two people is simple.
As scary or alarming as it may sound, what seals a marriage is just an intimate encounter!
This implies that we could easily be spiritually married to many people without knowing.
Over the years, the real and binding definition of marriage has been removed from what it is, knowing the other person intimately.
People need to be careful not to think of or have such a relationship with anyone in their lives, but to wait until they meet that one person they will live with for the rest of their lives.
What is important is the fact that you should have your own wife or husband!
1 Corinthians 7:2. …each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband (ESV). Meaning that there are no third parties allowed in the union, just the two of you till death! So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mathew 19:6 NIV
Allow me to revisit and explore further the act of getting married!
The scriptures say that two bodies become a couple in the spiritual world when they have an intimate encounter with or without a commitment to each other. Which means that a single encounter with another human makes that person your wife or husband.
Therefore, random casual affairs gives you ungodly spiritual ties to several people something that should never happen. That is why the practice is sin and an abomination! It is a curse to the human body (1 Corinthians 6:18 (NIV) Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body). Signs of these curses as mentioned elsewhere, are among many others, sexually transmitted infections, premature ageing and death of the body!
We find clues on what signs-up a marriage in the following scriptures. The act could be accidental, brief or hidden but it is a seal of marriage to that person!
What if the two people have an intimate relationship and don’t start living together as husband and wife? Then the act becomes a sin of sexual immorality or fornication depending on their current marital status. When you sleep with someone, that person becomes your wife or husband. If you don’t accept that then you are probably demonised!
1 Corinthians 6:16 (NIV) Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”
The spiritual act of marriage in 1 Corinthians 6:16 is quoted exactly the same way in several other scriptures. Ephesians 5:31 , Genesis 2:24, and Mathew 19:5
… a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh…
Before you fool around, you should be ready to live with that person as a married couple. Otherwise, repent and stop having intimacies with anyone until you are sure that you want to live with that person for the rest of your life!
1 Corinthians 7:2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. NIV
A man and a woman can commit themselves quietly to each other before God. It could be in your house, in church, on the road side, on a tree, at the beach, in a restaurant or anywhere you are! In any case, human witnesses at your commitment are not necessary unless for the purposes of the government paperwork.
If you are single, it is advisable that you get delivered before you seek an intimate relationship with anyone! Sow holiness and faithfulness in your life first! It is only then that you will be blessed with a suitable person to marry! Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. (Galatians 6:7 NIV).
It is my sincere hope that you have been blessed by the content of this article!
But before you go, let’s do some myth-bursting on what it means to be married!
1. A priest is needed to perform a marriage ceremony. This is a myth. It is purely a religious practice that is not supported by the scriptures and has no spiritual benefit or value. It is most likely used to hoodwink onlookers into believing that the relationship was holy or the persons involved practice holiness! If you are sleeping with no one else other than you two, your union is holy so long as you see the other person as husband or wife!
2. A set of marriage vows is what seals a marriage. This is another myth! Marriage vows are good and should come before the marriage is sealed, but what seals a marriage is the sexual act not the vows. So, stay away from it until you meet your soulmate!
3. There must be a wedding ceremony. A myth! Partying is not sin, but it has no spiritual meaning and can be a waste of time.
4. You need to follow the traditions of your people. This is a tricky myth! Human traditions were created by man to control others. Things like gifts and dowry are for monetary gain! You can use traditional ceremony for public commitment but this is completely irrelevant and a waste of time!
5. You can have a sexual relationship with another person while still claiming that the person is not your husband or wife. This is a deception and is an act of sexual immorality. You should never sleep with anyone if you don’t want to acknowledge that you are practically married to that person.
6. Your unfaithfulness will stop once you get married. A myth! Faithfulness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Without Him one is like a bandit and cannot be trusted with holiness, but can sin sexually when an opportunity presents itself! This how you know that someone is operating under a different spirit! However, there are many Christians who are not prone to being unfaithful but have conditions that can easily lead to sin like burning with passion for intimacy with random persons! Such can be managed by getting a wife or husband, and if you are already married, work on your relationship!
[Article Author: Joseph GM]